They say that you learn something every day. Let us help you with your quota.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

12 December 2012

Yep, 12/12/12.
Nothing like a good consecutive date to get the Philistines on my News Feed into a frenzy.
Besides being a day that is clearly important to most of us, it is also the third consecutive day in our Happiness Week!
Today's quota is a real treat. This is one of my favourite essays. It's called In Praise of Idleness, written by the charismatic philosopher Bertrand Russell in 1932.
As a treat for avid readers, it's actually a delightful satire of yesterday's article by Keynes.

Bertrand Russell has a lot to say on the topic of happiness.
In a letter addressed to W. W. Norton in 1931, he expressed his usual wit on the big issue;
"I do not believe that science per se is an adequate source of happiness, nor do I think that my own scientific outlook has contributed very greatly to my own happiness, which I attribute to defecating twice a day with unfailing regularity".
I'd have to agree with Mr. Russell. I've been defacating once a day for the past 10 days. I seem to have formed a fan base.

Russell discusses the virtue of idleness, the potential in leisure. He flexes his economic muscles by hypothesizing an economy where we work 15-20 hours a week, and invest the rest of the time in the pursuit of leisure, enlightenment etc.
Is happiness in leisure, not in wealth? Yes, you love your job, but are you willing to do it for free?
No? Then you, my friend, do not love your job.
This is a piece which slaps economic dogma right in the face.

READ IT HERE

As a bonus treat, the link below is another comment on Keynes' 1930 piece, written this year.
Yes, to mark the 12th of the 12th, 2012, we have exceeded our daily quota of learning for the day.
Be careful, you might hurt yourselves.

READ IT HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment